Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sautéed Veggies and Crispy Polenta

February 8, 2012

First post!

So I was perusing my mind trying to think of the perfect thing to start my blog off with.... I immediately thought to something I made last week with one of my best friends. It's a sautéed veggie dish (you'll see many of these) that includes a cornmeal product called "polenta". I got this recipe from a vegetarian cookbook, however altered it to fit my budget and taste, because let's be honest, no one knows what I like more than me ;)


Sautéed Veggies and Crispy Polenta

Prep time: 45 mins
Serves: 2-4 (depending on how hungry you are haha)

1 pre-packaged roll of polenta
1 clove garlic
1 yellow onion
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 red bell pepper
3 tablespoons canola oil
Non-stick spray
Any type of spice mill
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Finely chop the garlic or pass it through a garlic press, if you so possess one. Then, cut the onion in half, then into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut the zucchini and yellow squash into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then in half to form half-moon shaped pieces. Cut the bell pepper and remove the insides, then cut into thin slices.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet and add the garlic, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell pepper. Add some salt and pepper and a good amount of the ground spices from the mill. Cook the veggies, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you get the veggies to your desired texture.
4. Line a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and cut the roll of polenta into 1/2 inch slices, then season with salt and pepper. Pop the polenta in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, and it should be crispy.
5. When the polenta is done, top it off with the vegetables and enjoy! :)

Veg On.

No comments: